Home roasting coffee is something that every coffee lover should do at least once in their life. Like learning any new cooking technique it demystifies the process into a simple process. And if you learn how to roast your own coffee beans you can oneup your coffee snob friends.
Viewing entries in
This amazing piece of art was done by Lacie Laurendine, check out her etsy shop and buy something!
Here's a vegan recipe that's actually really good. Yes, I'll admit that a vegan recipe is actually good. For those of your who are vegan and found this through PETA's website, yes the sour cream is optional.
For those of us who aren't vegan, this recipe is a great breakfast taco choice for times when you're burnt out on scrambled eggs.
Tofu Potato Tacos
Makes 4 tacos
- 2 Golden Potatoes diced
- 7 oz Firm Tofu cubed
- 1/2 cup Green Enchilada Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Bacon Fat (or vegetable oil if you're a vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Hot Sauce (to taste)
- 4 Corn Tortillas ( Or a Corn/Flour Blend)
- Sour Cream optional
- Parsley optional
- Add the bacon fat to a cast iron pan or a large skillet. Once the bacon fat is melted add the potatoes and saute until they're golden brown.
- Add the cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and hot sauce.
- Stir in the tofu. Be aggressive in your tofu stirring to break it into cottage cheese size curds.
- Stir in the enchilada sauce. Let it boil down for 3 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Serve up on warmed tortillas and top with sour cream and parsley if you desire.
So I haven't posted in a while. I've been busy with life! I recently went down to New Orleans, check out my Instagram feed to see some of the things I ate when I was down there.
Louisiana can keep its gulf shrimp, even though it's delicious, I will stick to my Pacific Dungeness Crab any day of the week, as long as it's non-toxic that is. Dungeness crab is what crab meat should taste like, a little sweet, a little oceany, but over all something that's drool worthy.
I don't often say "this is the best thing I've ever ate" but this dish is one of those times. Much like Shrimp and Grits it balances the texture of the creamy grits with that of the shrimp or in this case the crab. The sauce though, this sauce is why I'm sharing this recipe. Imagine cocktail sauce, but 1000% better.
Everyone has their own recipe for grits, so I'm not going to post one here. I will say though that Chef Edward Lee's grits recipe.
Yes, you should break down your own crab to get it's meat, it makes it taste better. Also if you're not sure how to clean a crab just ask your local seafood provider, they'll be more than happy to help.
BS's Seafood Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Red Miso Paste
- 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lime Zest
- 1/2 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Chipotle ground
- 1/4 cup Tomato Sauce Optional
- Heat the butter over medium heat, once melted whisk in the miso, then the spices lastly add the lime zest and juice and then the tomato sauce.
- Word of warning to those not adding the tomato sauce, this sauce is pungent. It's strong and it's not for the faint of heart. Use sparingly.
Go on, make it, make 15 servings worth. You'll thank me later. Enjoy!
And my suggested wine for this dish would be Woven Winework's 2014 Farmer's Market Edition
Stuffed French toast is the best kind of French toast. When it's stuffed with mushrooms cooked in butter, it doesn't get much better. Shiitake Mushroom Stuffed French Toast
That's right breakfast food again! You're welcome.