Oh you think pumpkin and/or pumpkin spice is the real flavor of fall? Well you're wrong. Sorry to you and your Pinterest "Fall Flavors Board", but mushrooms cooked in butter IS the taste of fall. But that's just me, you have a different food story than me. Drawing taste memories from different places than me. You enjoy your #PSL, you do you buttercup.
Stuffed French toast is the best kind of French toast. When it's stuffed with mushrooms cooked in butter, it doesn't get much better.
Don't talk shiitake to me.
Pan Bread. Found it at the local Asian market. It's really that rectangular, but it makes the best French toast!
Shiitake Mushroom Stuffed French Toast
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 2 Eggs
- 1 loaf Pan Bread sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Oil (I prefer Avocado Oil) just enough to cover the pan
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 cups Shiitake Mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon Mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Chives garnish
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add the butter, and saute the shiitake Mushrooms until golden brown. Deglaze the pan with mirin and fish sauce and add the salt. Set aside.
- Mix, using a fork, the half and half and eggs in a pie pan. Take a slice of the bread and make a small incision into one of the sides of the slices, do not cut all the way through. Stuff some of the mushrooms into each slice of bread.
- Add oil to a skillet.
- Dip the slice in the egg and half and half mixture. Soak quickly and ensure coverage on both sides. Place in pan.
- Brown both sides and maybe even the edges.
- Plate and garnish with chives. Enjoy!