Welcome to the newly rebranded "Braised & Burnt" cooking blog! From now on every new blog post will also feature a related drawing from Lacie Laurendine. Who is a very talented artist as you can clearly tell.
Why don't more restaurants serve refried black beans? I don't know either. I decided to take the matter into my own hands and make them myself. Honestly not that different than refried pinto beans. Still pretty damned delicious though and it adds some contrast to the plate.
Refried Black Beans
- 2 cans Black Beans rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Bacon Fat
- 1/3 cup diced Onion
- 1/3 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Chipotle Pepper
- 1/4 cup Green Onion diced
- Crumbed Cotija Cheese
- Add the bacon fat to a medium saucepan and heat until hot.
- Stir in onions and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rinsed black beans, spices, and salt to the pan. Aggressively stir to mash up the beans.
- Continue cooking for about 7 minutes. Add chicken stock to beans to get desired thickness.
- Once the beans resemble a chunky paste serve in a bowl and top with cotija cheese and green onions. Enjoy!