The only reason I made this dish/post was my roommate kept on insisting that I make it. A year later I finally got around to making it. Sriracha Bacon Macaroni and Cheese isn't something I would normally make. I usually try to use fresh ingredients as the main component of my dishes. That goes double for this post.
I like using cured pork belly for this recipe. It's nice, thick, and salty. No, I don't think there's a joke in that at all. Just cut off the skin and cut into nice little pieces and fry it up!
Sriracha Bacon Mac & Cheese
- 8 oz. Macaroni
- 4 oz. Pork Belly diced
- 1/4 cup Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- The Colonel's Secret Spice Blend:
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon Curry
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt & Pepper
- 1/3 cup Half & Half
- 3 Tablespoons of Sriracha
- 1/2 cup Cheddar (Medium Sharp will work nicely) grated
- 1/3 cup Blue Cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Granny Smith Apple diced
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375°
- Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan. Add the macaroni. Cook until tender
- While the macaroni cooks start cooking the pork belly in a skillet over medium heat. Brown every little piece of fatty goodness. Remove the meat from the pan. KEEP THE FAT IN THE PAN!
- Add the onions and garlic. Stir and cook until the onions become transparent.
- Add the spices to the onions. Cook until the onions caramelize just a bit. About another 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the half & half a tablespoon at a time. Add the cheeses a little at a time. Also this would be a good time to add the sriracha. Stir until everything has melted together.
- Drain your pasta and put it back in the sauce pan. Add the cheese sauce to the pasta. Stir. Add the cooked pork belly. Put it in some sort of casserole pan and bake until the top becomes a little crispy.
- While that's baking make the green apple slaw. Pour the rice vinegar over the apples, add the sugar. Toss. Drain. Put on top of the mac and cheese.
It has bacon and sriracha in it. What more do you want from me internet?!?!