Elvis once said, "the only thing that would make this cocktail better is if it had butter in it." Okay, maybe he didn't say that, but you can't prove me wrong! In keeping with my theme of "ruined" holiday recipes, my roommate, Jonathan, who bartends at Tilt offered to share his recipe for the perfect Hot Buttered Rum. You should also check out his band Rags & Ribbons too!
No, you can't just microwave a mug of rum and throw a stick of butter in it, to make Hot Buttered Rum. The flavors in the cocktail must be fleshed out and built upon, much like a soup. A soup with an alcohol content. This is a very rich, and flavorful cocktail that will keep you warm on those long winter evenings, after a long day of feeding bodies into a woodchipper.
This post brought to you by Kraken Black Spiced Rum, "Kraken Rum, for those times you need to forget about 'those time'."
Once again these fantastic photos were taken by Megan Hawley. Please, check out her other work here!
Hot Buttered Rum
- 4 oz. Butter
- 2 oz. Honey
- 2 oz. Maple Syrup
- 4 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 6 oz. (4 shots) of Rum
- 5 cups Boiling Water
- In a small sauce pan melt the butter, honey, maple syrup, bitters, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- In a kettle bring the water to a boil.
- Divide the butter mixture evenly between your glasses (or mugs). Stir in 1.5 oz.(1 shot) into each mug. Fill the mugs with boiling water, stir, and garnish with a twist of orange.
- Enjoy! Preferably with some rum fruitcake.