Everyone loves a good grilled cheese sandwich. It doesn't matter if you're young or old, sometimes a grilled cheese sandwich is the perfect lunch. Yes, even lactose intolerant people love grilled cheeses, though their colons don't. So get out your holy cheese and pray to Cheezus Crust, and make this divine grilled cheese sandwich or are you a naan believer?
In the words of Buster Bluth, "I was told there would be grilled cheese." This isn't any old grilled cheese though, it's a grilled cheese that puts all others to shame. Sure, you could go with something simple and safe, but what's the fun in that? I personally don't understand people who take the safe route; life is for living, so add some apple and bacon to that sandwich! Some people will say apples don't belong on a sandwich, but let them talk and have their wrong opinion. They don't know the joy of something weird and different, so they can enjoy their meal of quiet judgement while you eat one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches of your life.
Yields one sandwich
- 2 slices of Sourdough Bread
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 3 oz. Tillamook Cheddar Cheese grated
- 2 oz. Gruyere cheese grated
- 1.5 Bacon Slices cooked
- 1 Granny Smith Apples thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper freshly ground
- Heat up two CLEAN skillets over medium heat. That's right two.
- Butter one side of each slice of yo' bread.
- Add the mustard and pepper to one slice of bread (on the non-butter side, but you're clever so you probably figured that out on your own).
- Pile on the cheeses. Stack 2 apple slices and the bacon strips to the pre-sandwich. Top it off with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Place in one of the hot skillets. Let cook for 30 seconds. Take the other hot skillet and place on top of the sandwich and press down. This will help melt the cheese and make it easier to flip. After a minute or so, flip the sandwich over and continue cooking until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve with a little salad or some tomato or butternut squash soup.
It's that easy to mix up the everyday routine and make something different and delicious. Don't be afraid of people judging your fruity sandwich. Go ahead and make this great sandwich, because if you don't I'll be judging you.
Say cheese, all photos by Katy Weaver