For too long breakfast burritos have hogged the spotlight in Mexican inspired breakfast food, but I say it's time to move on to something better than bland beans, cheese, and eggs stuffed in an old tortilla. The breakfast taco should get more attention, its size doesn't leave you bloated, like a burrito, but it's still enough to give you energy to start your day.
Also, good news this blog once again features high quality food photographs!
Breakfast Chorizo Tacos
- 10 oz. Chorizo
- 6 eggs
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 1 cup spinach
- Start by cooking the rice, because it's going to take the longest.
- Scramble the eggs and set aside. I put mine in the microwave to keep them warm.
- Heat the tortillas in a pan sprayed with a little Pam. The oil will help them brown a little. Heat each side for about a minute. While those heat up start cooking the chorizo over medium heat. Stirring occasionally.
- Once the chorizo is done cooking, place the rice, chorizo, eggs, and spinach in a line on a tortilla. Crumble goat cheese on top and drizzle the hollandaise sause over the top.
Avocado Lime Hollandaise Sauce
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 oz. butter
- 4-6 oz. purred avocado
- dash of cayenne pepper
- a pinch of lime zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a mixing bowl over a sauce pan with water in the pan over medium heat.
- Mix the yolks, water, and lime juice into the bowl. Whisk until thick and pale.
- Heat the mixture over the pan until they become frothy, be sure not to over cook the yolks by removing the bowl from the heat occasionally.
- When the bottom of the bowl becomes visible between strokes of the whisk add the butter and the avocado. Whisk until the butter and avocado be become smooth. Over whisking is encouraged.
- Whisk in the zest, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
The spiciness of the chorizo works with the creaminess of the hollandaise sauce and goat cheese, while the rice not only adds an extra texture element to these tacos, but also turns them into a main dish.
There's a bonus post coming up this week! Featuring artichokes and the avocado hollandaise sauce.
All these fantastic photos by Katy Weaver Photography