One of the greatest pieces of advice I've ever heard was from
who said, "Never take advice." I am open to criticism and feedback though, because without them you can't get better. But advice is more one sided than a HP Laserjet P3005ch printer (it doesn't have duplex printing). When it comes down to it, you're the only one who knows what you really want and what you have to do to make it happen, so start being selfish and start working towards something awesome.
For some reason in today's culture, selfishness is portrayed as a negative trait, although people forget is that this is what made this country great in the first place (that's right I'm making this a cultural thing). We broke away from the British Empire because we wanted to do things OUR way. We didn't get involved with WWII until we were attacked and it affected us.
Knowing that your crazy idea is a great one, and actually having the guts to go out there and make it happen doesn't make you insane or eccentric; it makes you successful and a goddamn American. Frankly I'm tired of having artificial roadblocks being put up, especially for people of my generation. Just get out there and create something, whatever it may be.
What do those old-man style ramblings have to do with Thai chicken and waffles? Almost nothing. But let's be honest, "Thai chicken and waffles" sounds like a weird, crazy idea, until you actually make it happen and try it. Remember an idea is only as good as its end product, so ignore that advice and prove those nay-sayers wrong.
Before I get into the recipes, I want to make a couple shout outs! First, thanks to
for sending me
(I was wearing it the entire time I was cooking all this). They also have a bunch of cool food t-shirts you should check out. The second shout out is to
because I love the stuff and would love a free bottle or two. The great thing about Kraken rum is that you get to yell, "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" Everytime you open the bottle.
I know it's not a direct translation, but dark rum produces a "dirtier" look than white rum
- 1 part Kraken Dark Rum
- 1 part Coconut Cream
- 2 parts Pineapple Juice
- 2 parts Ice
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until the ice forms a smooth texture.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with a lime slice.
Rice Vinegar Slaw
- 1 Carrot grated
- 1 Zucchini grated
- 1/2 Red Cabbage chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- Juice from 1 Lime
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Add the cut up vegetables to a large mixing bowl toss with the vinegars, lime juice, sugar, and salt. The best way to mix everything up is to use your hands.
- Once your salad is tossed, let the slaw sit in the fridge for about 15 min before serving.
- 1 1/4 cups Rice Flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 heaping tablespoon shredded Coconut
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tablespoons soft butter
- 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1 pinch of Five-Spice
- 1 Lime juiced and zested
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Add the lime zest and shredded Coconut to the dry mixture.
- Whisk in the rest of the ingredients. Once the batter is mixed together add to your waffle iron. [These are really good by themselves too, don't think you need to make a Thai chicken and waffle sandwich when you make these.]
Sweet and Spicy Chicken
- 1 lbs. Chicken Breasts cut into thick strips
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Fish Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- a dash of Garlic Salt
- Heat the oil over high in a wok or large skillet.
- Add the pepper flakes to the oil and let their flavors seep into the oil.
- Toss the chicken into the cooking vessel. Move the chicken around a bit so it doesn't clump together in the pan.
- Add the fish sauce, garlic salt, and brown sugar to the pan. Keep stirring to avoid burning the sugar. The chicken should finish cooking within a couple minutes, depending on what type of stove you have.
- Serve with the sauce that is created when cooking the chicken.
Assemble your sandwich by placing a waffle on a plate, add the chicken and some of the sauce then the slaw and a bit of cilantro and top with another waffle.
Once again my partner in crime,
, is responsible for these mind-blowing photos. She's right in the middle of her busy season and still finds time to help me out with this little project, she's sort of the best you guys.