The three words I would use to describe this dish would be healthy, colorful, and delicious. These stuffed peppers are both filling and very light at the same time by the time you finish them you're full, but not stuffed (see what I did there?).
Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 bell peppers stem and seeds removed
- 1/4 lbs. of ground pork chorizo
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 of a large zucchini coarsely chopped
- 10 grape tomatoes cut into quarters
- 6 small mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- a dash of cayenne pepper if you have it
These things go on top of the peppers:
- hot sauce
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Boil the water for quinoa about 1 cup of water. Once it reaches a boil turn down to a simmer and cook until the water is gone.
- While the quinoa is cooking take out a skillet and add the olive oil, onions, and garlic Once the onions become golden brown in color add the mushrooms. Deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine or water. Then add the chorizo.
- Oh did you preheat the oven to 375? You should probably do that now.
- Once the chorizo is browned add the zucchini, taco seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Mix so that the taco seasoning is no longer visible as giant clumps of red stuff. Then add the cooked beans, tomatoes, and the cooked quinoa. Mix.
- Scoop the filling into the peppers. Place the pepper into a casserole dish or meatloaf dish, really anything that can go in the oven and can hold 4 bell peppers.
- Place the peppers into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven. Cut vertically and top it with cheddar cheese, sour cream avocado, and hot sauce, or whatever you think would be good.
Photos by Katy Weaver